POSITION: DEPUTY DIRECTOR MEDICAL SERVICES
Reporting to the Director Medical Services and Research the successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership and management support in the medical services division to ensure delivery of efficient and patient centric medical services in line with the by-laws of the hospital policies and procedures, rules, and regulations of its medical staff, departments, and committees; and in compliance with all applicable local laws and accrediting bodies.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the development and implementation of the medical services division strategy in line with the Hospital’s strategic plan;
- Lead the development and review of policies, procedures, standards, and patient plans of care on behalf of the department as a multidisciplinary team leader;
- Lead performance improvement activities within the assigned departments and serve as department representative on interdisciplinary teams;
- Represent department interests in facility planning;
- Serve as liaison regarding program development, affiliations, or the inter-organizational management of patients on behalf of the Director, Medical Services;
- Report monthly to the department of medicine meeting on clinical issues and program development and report monthly to the Director Medical Services on progress in program development;
- Represent the department in medical staff committees and represent the hospital, on behalf of the Director Medical Services to convey the interests of the division;
- Participate in developing a practice presence, ensuring a presence as a peer with the physicians in the division;
- Assist in the supervision of professional conduct of all physicians who have clinical privileges in the assigned departments, adhering to standards of behaviour and compliance while engaged in care delivery;
- Recommend to the medical staff the qualifications for clinical privileges that are relevant to medical care;
- Recommend to the medical staff clinical privileges for each medical staff member of the department according to the established credentialing process delineated in the medical staff bylaws.
- Assess and recommend to the Director Medical Services external options for needed patient care services.
- Drive the development of new services to be provided on site in the assigned departments, with the emphasis on niche areas of expertise, and rebuilds services which have experienced a decrease in volume;
- Establish and communicate to the department staff specific patient care goals related to medical care and consistent with the institution’s role as a provider in the healthcare community;
- Provide input regarding the staffing patterns needed to fulfil the patient care requirements of the department;
- Monitor, evaluate, and act to improve the quality of medical care rendered in the department of medicine;
- Provide input to the process of orientation, mandatory training, and continuing education for all medical/reporting staff in the department of medicine;
- Ensure that the admission and discharge criteria for medical patients are adhered to;
- Ensure that the medical clinical operations of the department of medicine are consistently conducted in harmony with the operations and objectives of the hospital;
- Participate in the utilization review process by involvement in the collection and analysis of data related to medical care;
- Organize regular departmental meetings where substantial issues are considered, and uses the forum to build consensus and agreement around departmental directions and strategies;
- Recommend divisional budget content and help to monitor expenses for compliance;
- Provide input into patient care rendered by other disciplines within the department, ensuring adherence to acceptable medical care standards;
- Attend all required safety training programs and can describe his or her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job-related hazards;
- Follow the hospital exposure control plans/blood borne and airborne pathogens;
- Demonstrate respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment;
- Build, lead and motivate a competent team of medical specialists that will in turn ensure that the division has the right people in the right places to sustainably support the delivery of medical care at the Hospital; and
- Any other responsibilities that may be assigned to the job holder by the supervisor from time to time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master of Medicine degree in any medical field from a recognized institution.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery degree from a recognized institution.
- Must be registered by the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Council and hold a valid practicing license.
- Minimum of 10 years working experience with 7 years at senior management level in the health care sector.
- Must have demonstrated ability to handle divisional budgets, resources, processes, projects and relationships
- Should have thorough knowledge of the relevant industry/sector as well as knowledge of regulatory requirements affecting the relevant sector
- Must be capable of functioning effectively both as a team player and a team leader
- Must demonstrate high level of integrity
- Must have strategic leadership skills with ability to build strategic relationships
- Should have experience in change management and the ability to drive change in a team
- Should have high level problem solving and decision making abilities
- Should be an effective communicator with the ability to handle high level communication
- Should be result oriented with ability to deliver desired outcome
- Should demonstrate ability to identify and respond to risk areas within the division
- Should have effective people management and conflict resolution skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including communication, persuasion, motivation, loyalty, and openness
- Ability to translate and communicate biblical values / hospital ethics in personal life and professional life
- Must be an honest person full of integrity in their personal conduct and handling of job responsibilities
HOW TO APPLY
If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send us your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job reference number, your current remuneration, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to reach the undersigned not later than 6th January 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We shall ONLY accept ONLINE (via email) applications and contact SHORTLISTED candidates.
- Candidates invited for interviews will be required to present both originals and clear copies (where applicable) of the following documents:
- National I.D.
- KRA PIN Certificate
- Current Colored Passport Photo
- NSSF Card
- NHIF Card
- Valid Certificate of Good Conduct
- Academic and Professional Certificates
- Certificates of Service from previous employers
Director Human Resources & Operations
The Nairobi Hospital
P.O. Box 30026 – 00100
NB: THE NAIROBI HOSPITAL DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).