POSITION: DIRECTOR SUPPLY CHAIN & DISTRIBUTION
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership and management oversight on the supply chain and distribution department and oversee efficient and cost effective procurement of goods and services in order to ensure value for money and alignment to the hospital’s objectives.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the design, implementation and evaluation of supply chain & distribution functional strategy to ensure value for money in line with the Hospital’s overall strategy;
- Translate the strategic imperatives of the division into achievable plans, with established priorities and make periodic adjustments as required;
- Demonstrate ownership of and communicate the supply chain & distribution strategic direction and objectives to all staff;
- Participate as a member of senior management in formulating corporate strategies, policies, plans and budgets and in monitoring the Hospital’s performance to ensure that the corporate objectives and targets are achieved;
- Develop, review and ensure implementation of supply chain and distribution policies, procedures and systems to support tendering, contracts management, spend analysis, inventory management and supplier performance management in compliance with applicable regulatory requirements;
- Provide advisory services to line managers and project teams on all procurement, distribution and disposal issues;
- Champion procurement best practices and facilitate due diligence by user departments in regards to purchasing and inventory management;
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders, external providers and other agencies including supplier relation management (SRM) strategies and partnerships with key suppliers to ensure reliable and efficient supplies;
- Lead negotiations with suppliers, sub-contractors, service providers and procurement agencies in order to attain best value and cost savings for the hospital;
- Ensure continuous improvement of supply chain to ensure solutions are globally relevant and sustainable and enable attainment of key performance and financial targets and take corrective action where necessary;
- Execute strong governance through planning, developing, organizing, directing, managing and evaluating the supply chain operations;
- Develop supply chain risks methodology, supplier contingency/procurement continuity plan and mitigations;
- Develop appropriate supply chain strategies to maximize procurement of supplies at the lowest possible cost;
- Lead supply market intelligence on suppliers and goods to identify opportunities for continuous improvement;
- Develop ethical and strategic relationships with key suppliers ensuring cost saving targets are achieved without compromising the quality of materials and services;
- Implement the strategic selection of suppliers to maximize quality, service and cost;
- Develop and implement an effective procurement management information system for monitoring and tracking cost of materials, goods and services in order to control expenditure and ensure efficient use of organizational resources;
- Develop and implement appropriate standard operating procedures (SOPs) across the supply chain process and supplier onboarding, partnership and blacklisting policy and procedures;
- Develop, evaluate and implement procurement plans and budget to support the execution of the business strategic plan;
- Develop contracts management policies, procedures and Service Level Agreements;
- Conduct market research analysis to assist in effective business decision making;
- Provide leadership and guidance to users’ departments plus relevant project managers/teams in the development and implementation of procurement strategies/ project execution plans, specifications, etc. to ensure the best procurement practice is done and potential gains to the Hospital realized;
- Plan, coordinate and ensure that the Tender Committee functions are run effectively for products and services that are best procured through tendering and be the secretary to the Tender Committees;
- Coordinate and report on the progress of all activities of purchases, logistics, warehousing and distribution as key supply chain functions;
- Ensure compliance and conformity of procurement policies with the industry, the hospital and regulatory bodies/authorities;
- Transform the procurement infrastructure in to a supply chain center of excellence in line with international standards and benchmark with other institutions;
- Build, lead and motivate a competent supply chain & distribution management team that will in turn ensure that the division has the right people in the right places to sustainably support the delivery of supply chain and distribution services at the Hospital; and
- Any other responsibilities that may be assigned to the job holder by the supervisor from time to time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Commerce, Finance, Economics or any other related field from a recognized institution.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management or any other related field from a recognized institution.
- Full professional qualification in Purchasing and Supplies Management.
- Must be a Professional Member of Kenya Institute of Supplies Management with a valid practicing license.
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience in supply chain management in a large commercial organization, with 7 years at senior management level.
- Thorough understanding of procurement laws and procedures.
- Skills in developing Service Level Agreements.
- Knowledge and experience in demand and supply system and best procurement practices.
- Knowledge and effective application of all procurement and relevant hospital policies, processes, procedures and guidelines to consistently achieve required compliance standards or benchmarks.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to lead, influence and drive change initiatives in support of business strategies within the division.
- Strong leadership and skills to foster teamwork; develop and motivate staff, resolve conflicts as well as ability to provide direction, guidance, momentum and vision in order to achieve organizational objectives.
- Demonstrated business acumen – able to create strategy and actions that impact business success.
- Strong communication and presentation skills including ability to develop proposals, concept papers, position papers as well as write reports and prepare relevant publications.
- High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity.
- Strong expertise in strategic management project planning and budgeting, resource management, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized, and able to work well with people at all levels in the organization.
- Strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Analytical and creative thinking skills.
- Strong persuasion and negotiation skills.
HOW TO APPLY
If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send us your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job reference number, your current remuneration, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to reach the undersigned not later than 6th January 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We shall ONLY accept ONLINE (via email) applications and contact SHORTLISTED candidates.
- Candidates invited for interviews will be required to present both originals and clear copies (where applicable) of the following documents:
- National I.D.
- KRA PIN Certificate
- Current Colored Passport Photo
- NSSF Card
- NHIF Card
- Valid Certificate of Good Conduct
- Academic and Professional Certificates
- Certificates of Service from previous employers
Director Human Resources & Operations
The Nairobi Hospital
P.O. Box 30026 – 00100
NB: THE NAIROBI HOSPITAL DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).