The position: Programme Manager, AKF Eastern Africa COVID19 Response Program
Contract Duration: Two and a half Years
Application Deadline: 19th January 2021
Are you a dynamic, pragmatic, and agile manager, able to think on your feet as you analyse complex situations on the fly, and looking for an exciting opportunity? Are you cut out to nurture a team of multiple implementing partner, engaged in diverse interventions, across multiple geographies, and targeting the most marginalised communities in Eastern Africa? If yes, then apply for this position at Aga Khan Foundation, East Africa (AKF EA) to be based in Nairobi with frequent travel to the Eastern Africa Region. This position reports to the Senior Regional Awards Manager and collaborates with a team of technical advisors, programme specialists, and consultants.
About the programme
The overall objective of the programme is to improve systemic, gender-sensitive responses to overcome health, economic and social vulnerabilities caused by COVID-19 pandemic across four countries: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Mozambique. The Action will adopt a three-pronged, systemic approach to overcome vulnerabilities among target communities, enhancing their capacity to cope with the impact of COVID-19, while improving health delivery systems. AKDN and its partners will support mechanisms – including digital platforms – for improving access to sexual and reproductive health services and livelihood opportunities for adolescents and youth, who have unique vulnerabilities that deny them responsible decision making about their life and dignified work opportunities. By the end of the programme, 140,000 individuals (60% female) will be reached directly in vulnerable communities and 604,000 indirectly: a total of 739,000 people reached.
The Programme Manager will:
- Oversee programme implementation and reporting including timely delivery of activities, provision of sub-grants, and consulting contracts,
- Lead in coordination, liaison, and collaboration with key local and regional stakeholders, in the four countries during implementation of the programme,
- Ensure that the programme is implemented on time, on budget, on result, and in compliance with the parameters of the donor, AKF policies, and relevant laws and regulations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Mozambique.
- Maintain coordinated communications with AKF, country programme teams, implementing partners, and local government authorities.
- Responsible for programme reporting and donor compliance requirements, including the preparation and submission of the project annual work plans, annual and semi-annual narrative reports, and oversight of financial reports,
- Ensure integration of gender equality and social inclusion in all aspect of programme implementation and management, and
- Lead in coordination of the programme management unit (PMU), regional programme review meetings, and country review meetings.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum of a post-graduate degree at Master Level, preferably in International Development, Public Health, Development Studies, or related fields.
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience in developing countries, preferably East Africa,
- Successfully managed large and complex projects in the areas of humanitarian emergencies, economic inclusion, health, gender equality, and civil society sectors.
- Proven experience in building project management framework and systems.
- Demonstrated analytical, organisational, convening, interpersonal, negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Able to work within agile structures and build communities of support across multiple organizations and stakeholders.
- Expert capacity in written and verbal skills in English with ability to write high quality reports for donor projects and analytical briefs.
- Strong familiarity with monitoring and evaluation methodologies and logical frameworks.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a large team of staff, individual experts, and partners,
- Knowledge of Kiswahili and Portuguese will be an added advantage.
Note to Applicants
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“AKF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and partners to share this commitment.”
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements follow the link below for application
Application Deadline: 19th January 2021