Position: Head of Courier
Reporting to: The Managing Director
Application Deadline: 31st January 2021
Category: Logistics Jobs
Purpose of the Role:
To head the courier department and providing industry best practice and guideline that will ensure high profits are attained not leaving behind overall growth of employees in courier team.
(Roles that report into this position)
- Booking office (Regional managers, branch supervisors and clerks)
- Crew (Conductors and drivers)
- Operations team (Ass. Courier manager, dispatch officer, marketing officer, operations manager)
And Much more responsibilities
- Bachelor degree in any discipline, Degree in business management or any other related field.
- Diploma in Logistics and supply chain management.
- Have at least 3 years’ experience in supervisor role in a courier industry with a professional company.
- Should have managed a team of more than 100 people in a courier company before.
- Should be computer literate and understand MS office tools, ERP experience would be preferred
Relevant Previous Experience:
- Worked for 7 years in a Logistics company with last 3 years in a supervisory capacity
- Understand NTSA regulations on road safety.
- Understand Communication Authority of Kenya (governing body for courier) rules and regulation on courier operations.
- Understand courier license procedure in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda.
- Understand the road network and condition so as to know where we can send our parcel trucks.
- To understand cross border regulations and requirement on movement of cargo.
- To understand general vehicle maintenance and operation cost.
- Optimum resource and space utilization to generate maximum revenue while minimizing cost.
- Analysis of financial and operations report.
- Understand current courier marketing trends and customer behavior that change with time.
- Generate revenue from online courier business especially when working with online shops.
- Create, analyse and interpret courier data to derive profitability of the business unit.
- Understand fuel consumption, tyre consumption and wear & wear of courier vehicles.
- Knowledge of current market rates in courier especially weight and volume (CBM)
- Parcels handling procedures for warehousing and loading, off loading
- Proficient with MS office tools.
- Language proficiency English and Kiswahili.
- Be able to interpret and analyse financial data.
- Parcel packaging and loading skills.
- People management.
- Planning and execution.
- Delegation and control.
- Risk management
- Negotiation skills
- Sales and marketing skills
Booking Office Related
- Ensure all branch staff members are well trained in courier SOPs.
- Ensure all business permits are renewed timely.
- Devise, monitor and review sales target and incentives for branch staff
- Adequate manpower planning and allocation
- Manage courier sales and expenses in branches
- Ensure customers get the promises that we give as a company.
- Ensure parcels are well kept in the booking offices and safe from damages.
- Monitor the delivery time of the parcels vis a vis committed timeline, investigate delays and put corrective measures in place
- Evaluate the customer complaints, devise methods to control complaints, work on process enhancements and communicate effectively to all stakeholders, including the customer service team.
Crew Related (Conductors and Hostess)
- Ensure all crewmembers are trained on health and safety.
- Ensure all crewmembers have required documents i.e license, PSV and good conduct.
- Ensure all crewmembers are trained on parcel handling and documentation when on transit.
- Ensure all crewmembers attend the required refresher courses quarterly on courier.
- Plan and devise customer sourcing strategies for business development to increase the customer base for the courier division
- Vehicles are scheduled and availed as per customer demand.
- Ensure all vehicles are operating with all the required legal documents i.e. Insurance, and inspection.
- Provide courier logistics solution according to customer needs.
- To apply for tender and projects that have been advertised.
- To post clerks in CFS to source for courier cargo.( These are clerks who go to container freight services (CFS) and source for cargo that has been cleared by clearing agents from other company but they don’t have transport.)
- Hold regular meeting with team to touch base on progress and shortcoming of our operations.
- Assist in recruiting and training of courier personnel.
- Ensure all vehicles and offices are branded according to courier branding guideline.
- Monitoring courier competition in the market and coming up with measures to counter competition
- Present to MD every month, the business review of courier division to discuss challenges, potential opportunities and or concerns for effective planning and growth of courier division
- Set goals for team on time, aligned to business objectives
- Provide on the job mentoring and
- Identify training programs & developmental interventions to enable higher performance.
- Conduct regular performance reviews and give timely feedback.
- Connect and engage with team for higher motivation and retention.
- Discuss career aspirations and provide opportunities for growth.
- Ensure adequate staffing of team w.r.t. Numbers and competence
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements, send the application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st January 2021 at 5:00 pm