Position: Business Development Officer
Application deadline: 1st February 2021
Sanergy transforms the way emerging cities like Nairobi handle their waste. We have created a zero-waste model to clean up fast growing cities by converting polluting organic and sanitation waste streams into valuable products that increase economic growth and promote sustainable agriculture. We safely collect and treat 12,000 tons of organic waste annually – sanitation, municipal, and agricultural waste – and convert it into valuable products: insect-based proteins derived from black soldier flies for animal feed, organic fertilizer, which restores soil quality and structure, and biomass fuel briquettes. This model ensures waste that would otherwise harm the environment is transformed into high-quality sustainable products.
Sanergy is looking for an exceptional individual to join our Business Development team. The Business Development Officer will support the team to raise funds and develop partnerships to meet organizational strategic initiatives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Remain abreast of funders’ trends, build organizational understanding of new funders and contribute information for identification and prioritization of funding opportunities.
- Generate leads, identify co-funding partners, analyze opportunities, pitch ideas and develop internal stakeholder buy-in to go after opportunities.
- Work with R&D to identify and develop opportunities based on the R&D research roadmap to develop new waste-derived products.
- Craft strong business rationale and a tailored message to partners and funders. Communicate strategic initiatives and vision to inspire and convince partners to support the organization financially and technically.
- Plan and manage the entire proposal development process for identified funding opportunities, working closely with the Operational teams and Finance team to develop high quality funding applications. This includes developing narrative, budgets, log frames and theory of change in accordance with funder guidelines.
- Build strong, open and collaborative relationships with funders
- Ensure all relevant team members are fully briefed on the terms and conditions of funders agreements/contracts, including Monitoring and Evaluation requirements and key deadlines.
- Gather information from Operational teams, prepare narrative reporting and liaise with partners with regular high quality updates. Ensure reporting requirements for all funders are met and reports are completed to deadlines.
- Support due diligence processes, facilitate funder audits and coordinate with Operational teams and Finance team on external evaluations.
- Produce internal reports and conduct reviews on the performance and progress of fundraising against agreed financial targets and annual objectives.
- Organize and lead site visits with funders.
- Build networks and strategic partnerships locally.
- Expertly speak on behalf of the organization to funders and visitors.
- Support other areas of business development as required in the organizational strategy, especially to improve business development tools and impact reporting.
- Work with FLI’s Monitoring & Evaluation taskforce to strengthen impact reporting.
- 3-4+ years of work experience in fundraising or business development in a global development context.
- Excellent external communication and writing skills.
- Highly organized team player, with pro-active and flexible work style.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience in international development or the social sector more broadly. Knowledge of the sanitation sector is a plus.
- Humility, integrity and a sense of humor.
The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Preferred start date: March 1, 2021
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to email their applications together with samples of previous projects undertaken as one document and a detailed CV with contact details of three referees by 1st February 2021.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Click the Button below to Apply for this position on Sanergy’s website