Position: Lead Process Engineer
Application deadline: 1st February 2021
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms. We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 2,700 active Fresh Life Toilets serving over 100,000 urban residents every single day. We collect and convert over 6,000 tons of waste every year.
Sanergy transforms the way emerging cities like Nairobi handle their waste. We have created a zero-waste model to clean up fast growing cities by converting polluting organic and sanitation waste streams into valuable products that increase economic growth and promote sustainable agriculture. We safely collect and treat 12,000 tons of organic waste annually – sanitation, municipal, and agricultural waste – and convert it into valuable products: insect-based proteins derived from black soldier flies for animal feed, organic fertilizer, which restores soil quality and structure, and biomass fuel briquettes. This model ensures waste that would otherwise harm the environment is transformed into high-quality sustainable products. At the same time, we have built a team of 250 dedicated with diverse backgrounds. Our work has been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are currently seeking an experienced Lead Process Engineer 5 who will work on the design and construction of East Africa’s largest organics recycling facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a team of engineers to design organic waste bioconversion facilities
- Develop project timelines, budgets, resources, and activities required to achieve the yearly goals
- Perform design calculations for various engineering problem
- Review vendor drawings and provide technical feedback to ensure specifications are met
- Review controls and/or electrical plans for various equipment
- Review processing engineering deliverables (BFDs, PFDs, Mass Balances, P&IDs)
- Provide engineering input to civil and architectural drawings
- Support the organization through assembling needed project information, tools and work documents to industry standards in a timely manner
- Lead meetings with vendors and engineering consultants
- Prepare operating guidelines commissioning test forms, equipment checklists and commissioning reports and maintain commissioning issues lists
- Along with the vendor, perform factory acceptance testing, test and balance activities, and functional performance tests
- Responsible for the technical quality and accuracy of work developed by the team
- Develop clear and transparent communication channels with other staff including Engineers, Project Manager, and Administration Staff.
- Lead and manage the installation and commissioning of various industrial equipment
- Troubleshoot system operational issues that impact system operation, safety, and reliability
- Provide hands-on field expert level support for construction
- Perform field inspections to ensure construction meets the design specifications
Skills and Qualifications Needed
- Bachelor Degree in Chemical Engineering or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience in engineering and design of processing units, equipment, waste treatment facility
- Demonstrated working knowledge of how multi-disciplinary engineering team functions
- Demonstrated working knowledge or interest in the operation of Boilers, Chillers, water treatment, Pumps, waste treatment and Control Systems is preferred.
- Experience in operating factories in the waste sector is preferred
- Experience in commissioning various mechanical and electrical systems
- Effective interpersonal skills to properly represent Sanergy in an ethical and professional manner.
- Ability to explain technical information to technical and non-technical people.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team, set priorities, handle budgets and provide constructive feedback to junior members
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well among the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
The perks you’ll have
- A holistic benefits package
- Unparalleled opportunities for personal and professional growth
- A unique chance to tackle critical challenges of sanitation, economic empowerment and food security
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to email their applications together with samples of previous projects undertaken as one document and a detailed CV with contact details of three referees by 1st February 2021.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Click the Button below to Apply for this position on Sanergy’s website
Kindly note this position is based in Nairobi with considerable movement to Kinanie, Mavoko constituency.