Position: Data Scientist
Application Deadline: 31st January 2021
Duration: 1 year Contract – Renewable
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a Pan-African, non-profit research institute committed to conducting high-quality research on urbanization, population, health, and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. The Center has a three-pronged approach to its program activities: conducting policy-relevant research on aging, education, health, population, and urbanization issues in Africa; developing research skills of African scholars and institutions; and engaging policymakers with research evidence. APHRC is implementing a member-driven initiative in education dubbed the Regional Education Learning Initiative (RELI). RELI brings together several institutions working towards improving learning outcomes in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. RELI’s long-term goal is to empower its members to become more effective and influential organizations in improving education outcomes in the region.
To this end, APHRC seeks to recruit a Data Scientist to establish an online repository of data and evidence for RELI members. The position will be based at APHRC, Nairobi, Kenya, and may include some travels from the home country to specified meetings in other countries in Africa.
- Facilitating a discourse on data extraction, access and sharing protocols with RELI members, MEL mentors, and the funder;
- Data cleaning and harmonization including conducting all the required consistency checks for data from various partners and studies;
- Creating automated systems for data harmonization and consistency checks;
- Documentation of data sets from various partners according to agreed guidelines on data documentation, archiving and sharing;
- Perform basic and advanced statistical analysis of data;
- Developing an interactive data platform on the RELI website complete with data archiving protocol/architecture, programming the protocols, data cleaning etc.;
- Participate in evidence sharing sessions with select regional bodies to inform regional and global discourses on education and enhance RELI visibility;
- Write technical reports on data issues; and
- Participate in proposal development and review.
Key Competencies, qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in computer science, statistics, economics, machine learning, or other related technical disciplines;
- At least two years of experience in mining, processing, cleansing and quality assessment of data from diverse studies and organizations;
- Experience in data analysis using STATA, R, SPSS and data documentation software’s such as NESTAR;
- Experience in visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders and the use of relevant data science tools kit;
- Ability to regularly report and synthesize emerging information;
- Good communication, presentation, and teamwork skills.
The appointment will be for a one –year period renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through APHRC recruitment portal, Click the button below to start the application process.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P.O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons