Position: Research Assistant/HTS Counselor (1 Position)
REF No. :FN-020-11-2020
Reports to: Study Coordinator
Durarion: 1 year
Application Deadline: 1st February 2021
Maneno Yetu Study is collaboration between the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Research Care and Training Program (RCTP), the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and University of Washington (UW). Maneno Yetu study will engage adolescents to develop sexual health and HIV prevention messaging. When adolescents are given the opportunity to create narratives that reflect what is relevant to them, the creative process may result in prevention messages that are more likely to resonate with their peers. The study components include focus groups, cross-sectional surveys, prevention messaging workshops and narrative interviews as well as HIV testing and STI screening services.
Maneno Yetu Study is seeking for a self-motivated and proactive individual to fill the vacancy of Research Assistant/HTS Counselor (1 Position)
- Diploma in Nursing, Public Health, Sociology, Community Health & Development, Social Work, Counseling or any other relevant health/social sciences. Degree qualification in the related field will be an added advantage
- Training, NASCOP certification and experience in HIV Testing & Counseling. Training and experience in adolescent counseling will be an added advantage.
- Experience with community-based research for public health or clinical studies preferred.
- Experience with research studies or programs focused on adolescents strongly preferred
- Training and experience in conducting quantitative surveys preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implementing all components of the study protocol at the site level
- Ensuring compliance to protocol and procedures for all study components
- Recruiting participants for the study components
- Conducting all study components in the preferred language (English, Dholuo, Kiswahili) of participants
- Administering the informed consent process
- Administering the cross-sectional surveys and prevention messaging workshops
- Conducting community based HIV testing and counseling (HTS) services to the study participants
- Offering health education, pre and post-HTS counseling services to study participants
- Assisting participants in urine self-sample collection for STI screening
- Offering referral/linkage to care and treatment services to participants as need arises
- Tracking participants status for all study components
- Conducting follow-up tracking of cross-sectional survey participants who are eligible to participate in subsequent study components (prevention messaging workshop, in-depth interviews)
- Ensuring completeness of all data collected (recordings, field notes, survey)
- Participating in study meetings (in-person, internet conference calls)
- Assisting with dissemination of study findings
Other required skills:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in English, Kiswahili and Dholou required
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team
- Ability to effectively handle multiple priorities and organize workload
- Excellent time and resource management skills
- Ability to work with tight timelines and meet deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience using computers for a variety of tasks. High level of competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience in HIV Testing & Counseling.
- Must be willing to work in informal and low-income settlement
- Flexibility to work non-business hours; being available for calls outside of business hours due to time differences between the U.S. and Kenya
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter stating current position and date available to start working for the program
- A current CV including email and mobile phone contact
- Name and phone number for two professional referees
- Two letters of recommendation
- A copy of the latest pay slip (if applicable) Copies of academic and professional certificates
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are encouraged to send in their applications through email; email@example.com.
Please indicate vacancy number in the subject of the email
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity; persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply.
KEMRI does not charge a fee at any stage of its selection process including application, interview and processing of offer letter. If asked for a fee, report such request immediately.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.