Position: Finance Manager – We Lead Program
Region: Global(Africa, Middle East, Latin-America)
Office: Hivos East Africa Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya.
Application deadline: February 10, 2021
Hivos works for a world where people can realize their full potential, unleashing their ingenuity and creativity to build fair, just and life-sustaining societies for themselves and generations to come. Our mission is to amplify and connect voices that promote social and environmental justice and challenge power imbalances. We particularly empower marginalized rightsholders to raise their voice and demand freedom of choice.
About We Lead Program
We Lead is a new, inspiring, innovative and far-reaching program aiming to improve the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRH-R) of young women from four specific groups: that live with HIV, that have a disability, that identify as lesbian, bisexual, trans or intersex, and that are affected by displacement. The program truly puts these young women rights holders in the driving seat, while supporting them to impactful and sustainably advocate for their SRH-R.
The program will be implemented in nine countries in Africa, the Middle East and Central America. The We Lead consortium consists of six civil society organizations (Positive Vibes, Restless Development, Marsa, FEMNET, the Central American Women’s Fund, Hivos) and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Hivos is the lead party.
The Program started on 1 January 2021 and is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, under the SRHR Partnership Fund, which is part of the Power of Voices subsidy framework. The five-year program has a budget of EUR 40, 7 million.
The Finance Manager (FM) is part of the We Lead Global Team, the Program Management Unit (PMU) based in Nairobi. The FM oversees the finance and accounting aspects of the We Lead Program as per donor guidelines. The finance manager works closely together with all the regional teams in Latin America, Africa and the MENA region.
The FM takes responsibility for provision of overview and strategic financial management of the We Lead program across the regions and actively participate in strategy formulation, PMU meetings and provide financial management related advices to the program team. She/he/they designs systems and tools that promote internal and external accountability in financial management in the We Lead program.
The FM oversees budgetary cycles, monitor program expenditure, resolve problems and provide support to the PMU and the finance staff in the regions on financial management and monitoring of the We Lead program.
The FM ensures financial management and donor requirements is carried out in accordance with internal processes and recognized financial standard and provide financial expertise, business support and financial monitoring of the We Lead staff both globally and regional and if needed to consortium and local partners in their finance/grant management responsibilities.
The FM also ensures that Hivos financial policy and procedures are applied, and coherent finance systems are established for varying program modalities. She/he/they provides guidance and support to regional offices, consortium partners, host organizations and (local) partners with regards to financial planning and reporting, and the annual audit. She/he/they shares one consolidated financial and audited report with the Hivos financial controller according to the donor guidelines. Generates other period financial reports and analyses and leads preparation of financial forecasts, targets and budgets, monitors progress, including identification of risks and opportunities for the We Lead program manager and financial controller. The FM liaises with the Hivos financial controller to undertake due diligence assessments.
The Finance Manager visits Hivos’ Regional Offices approximately once a year to:
- Ensure that financial management is carried out in accordance with internal processes and recognized financial standards and that donor obligations and requirements are met.
- Oversee budgetary cycles, monitor program expenditure and resolve problems.
- Provide support on the preparation of quarterly finance reports and annual audited accounts.
- Advise on budget utilization and strategies that We Lead should take to improve on utilization and efficiency.
- Provide technical know-how to implement all forms of recommendations related to financial monitoring, review and risk assessment.
- Develop the capacities of Hivos finance staff and local partner organizations where necessary.
- Overall responsibility for financial oversight across the Program, including review and preliminary sign-off on all new contracts.
- Lead on the financial planning for the program including (development of formats for) budgets, 3-year plans, forecasts for integration with the wider organization business planning.
- Be the first point of escalation with the donor and partner institutions pertaining to the implementation of signed agreements.
- Prepare and manage the program’s annual audit cycle and process to ensure that the Programme audit is delivered to the donor by the agreed timeline.
- Advises the global program manager on the design of the financial accounts and the formulation of financial targets.
- Support the program teams to integrate risk management into routine project management processes such as Project Control Group meetings.
- Maintain positive interpersonal and communication relationships with program partners and regional finance teams.
- Formulate innovative program reporting tools for program consortium partners and regional teams for ease of periodic consolidation of financial and programatic data.
- Take responsibility for the program’s operational relationship with external auditors and other third parties to ensure quality service provision that meets the program’s donor and regional specific statutory responsibilities.
Financial reporting coordination
- Design and implement financial reporting templates and guidelines for partners and countries and consolidate financial reports for the program for transmission and discussion with the program management.
- Lead, manage and motivate the program finance staff ensuring appropriate advice, guidance and support is provided in line with best practice.
- Oversee and review the financial control environment across the program to ensure compliance with financial regulations, prevent/detect significant fraud and generally manage financial risk.
- Support the establishment of the program in new countries. (tax, local reporting etc.).
- Master’s degree or equivalent in finance, accounting, business economics or related / similar field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years working experience.
- Work experience in complex financial environments.
- Bilingual – working knowledge of French and English languages*
- Expertise in accounting, business economics, using ERP/MIS systems and project finance management.
- Work experience in a global setting.
- Diverse and complex problem solving related to financial health requiring professional knowledge, field experience and an understanding of development.
*Please note that proficiency in written and spoken French and English are mandatory requirements for this role and will be assessed accordingly during the interview phase.
How to Apply
Hivos particularly welcomes applications from women and/or persons that belongs to one of the rightsholder groups. We offer a contract based on Hivos East Africa local labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise requested.
Kindly send resume and motivation letters to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note we can only review Applications with a motivation letter. Applications should be received by 10th February 2021.