Position: Finance and Impact Investing Advisor – South Africa/ Kenya
Location: South Africa or Kenya
The Power Africa Off-grid (PAOP) Project Mid-Level Finance and Impact Investing Advisor works together with the Finance and Impact Investing Advisor to provide technical assistance support to investors and private sector companies to mobilize more private financing for energy companies and projects. This is a full-time position. Ideally the position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa, or Nairobi, Kenya, however, is open to qualified candidates based in Sub-Saharan Africa. Other countries of residence may also be considered for the right candidate. This position reports to the Senior Finance and Impact Investing Advisor.
Build PAOP’s network of investors and support impact investors, strategic investors, private equity investors and specialist debt financiers with activities aiming to increase the access to finance in the sector.
- Support and advise off grid companies directly on finance related tasks such as fundraising strategy and process, reviewing and feedback on financial models and other investment material
- Contribute to project-level activities relating to financing, including conducting assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities that are in line with the programs key KPIs, contributing to annual work plans, implementing approved activities, and reporting on progress
- Identify technical assistance opportunities in large complex transactions in the off-grid space.
- Facilitate introductions between energy companies and private investors in countries in which PAOP implements projects
- Support off-grid companies in accessing financing available and appropriate for the company needs e.g. grants, equity hard and local currency debt.
- Help off-grid companies to identify and prepare applications for multiple type of sources of funding including commercial or subsidies
- Review and provide feedback on commercial financing terms and grant applications
- Engage investors, including impact investors, gender-lens investors, commercial lenders, institutional investors, family foundations, crowd funding platforms, and others, to provide support for them to begin investing in off-grid companies or to grow existing investments in the sector. Support activities may include:
- Strategy development and internal awareness raising of energy sector opportunities
- Pipeline building to support investment mandate and objectives
- Support financial product and service design to ensure appropriate product development for the energy sector, coordinating co-funding opportunities with donors and development finance institutions (DFIs) as appropriate
- Market intelligence and risk assessments on a market segment and/or country-specific level to assist investor due diligence
- Convening investors and other event coordination for the finance sector to ensure increased dialogue between existing investors active in the energy sector and new potential market financiers
- Support on developing and implementing the Gender Lens Investing support work with investors.
- Develop other access to finance related documents and resources, as requested by PAOP Leadership.
Qualification and other Requirements
- Bachelors degree in business, finance, economics or a related field;
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience working in investments firms, financial advisory providers, ideally investing in the off-grid sector, experience in fundraising for energy access companies is a plus;
- Prior experience with financing of off-grid energy projects and companies, preferably in Africa;
- Strong quantitative skills and knowledge of corporate finance, strong understanding of and experienced in building financial models for valuations and financial returns analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experiences in financial analysis, and transaction advisory among other finance-related areas, as required;
- Prior experience in working with gender lens investing is a plus
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders (including private equity firms, Development Finance Institutions, and development agencies) to support investments in high impact sectors
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills, proficiency in French is also preferred.
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements and you would like to apply for the position, click the button below to start the application process.