Position: Technical Report Writer – South Africa
Location: South Africa
Category: Project Management
RTI is seeking applicants for the role of Technical Report Writer to serve as part of the Power Africa Off-grid Project team. The Technical Report Writer report to the Senior Communications and Knowledge Management Specialist and will be responsible for drafting and editing various documents covering project progress and technical assistance outputs. She/he will liaise closely with team members based throughout Africa to develop, compile, and revise written outputs of fast-paced activities into client- and public-facing reports and summaries. This position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa, and comes with local compensation and benefits. The position will work remotely until conditions allow for a return to the office in South Africa.
- Coordinate and schedule documentation, collection, compilation, and review of information for a range of periodic reports (e.g. quarterly, annually, ad hoc, etc.).
- Provide technical writing and review of project materials in a quick, efficient manner (e.g. periodic reports, technical abstracts, journal articles, etc.).
- Review shorter and immediate outputs (e.g. trip reports, memoranda, presentations, etc.) for flow, structure, and grammar.
- Check that project outputs are responsive, sound, internally consistent, and appropriately address reporting requirements.
- Edit drafts of project materials; make recommendations to improve responsiveness, information organization, and clarity.
- Support efforts to store information easily and efficiently.
- Contribute to the development and preparation of annual work plans and strategies.
- Compile highlights from internal country updates (e.g. weekly reports) and produce a monthly news roundup for internal project staff.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by Supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, journalism, communications, or a similar field plus minimum 5 years of professional editing/writing experience or an advanced degree in the above with at least 3 years of professional editing/writing experience.
Applicants are requested to submit 2-4 examples of recent writing assignments.
Skills & Abilities
Skills and abilities required to perform the essential duties of this job are listed below.
- Excellent and proven writing and verbal skills required.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to function in a fast-paced setting. Must be able to meet deadlines.
- Experience collating and re-writing technical material written by non-native English speakers into client-ready materials.
- Skill in abstracting or condensing general information for inclusion in documents. Ability to present technical ideas in a concise way.
- Effective communication skills required for providing diplomatic and constructive comments to colleagues.
- Ability to conduct research independently.
- Ability to prioritize own work, and adapt to changes in priorities, workload, and workflow.
- Self-motivated, proactive attitude that thrives under pressure as part of a team.
- Familiarity with topics related to private sector support and off-grid electrification is a plus.
- Experience working with USAID implementing partners on documenting and reporting on program technical deliverables is a plus.
- Working knowledge of French is a plus.
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements and you would like to apply for the position, click the button below to start the application process.