Position: Clinical Research Scientist (KMR 5)
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Duration: 1 year Renewable
Vacancy No. CGHR/167/01/21
Location: KEMRI-CGHR, Kisumu, with fieldwork in Siaya County
Application Deadline: 15th February 2021
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will be conducting a large community-based study of Attractive Targeted Sugar Bait (ATSB) aimed at reducing malaria transmission in western Kenya. The 3-year project is part of a larger international ATSB consortium involving three countries in Africa, and international partners in the UK and USA. As part of this effort, KEMRI is searching for an exceptional trial manager with three years of relevant work experience to lead the study team.
The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing a large cluster randomised trial in 80 villages in Siaya County to evaluate the efficacy of a novel tool for reducing malaria transmission. The evaluation will include longitudinal assessments of community and facility-based surveillance for malaria case burden, a year-round household malaria indicator survey and an incidence cohort study. The post holder will work in close consultation with the Principal and Co-Investigators, including with the entomological team. He/She will be responsible for reviewing standard operating procedures, manage submission of protocol amendments as required, coordinate fieldwork, overseeing centralised functions of the study, including coordinating data management and procurement of study supplies.
For exceptional candidates, the option for PhD training as part of the project may be considered.
- Strong leadership and supervisory abilities
- Fulfill the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Kenya Constitution
- Medical Doctor (MCChB or MD or equivalent), or MSc in Epidemiology, or MPH or equivalent
- Demonstrated team or project management ability
- Strong computer skills including in data analysis and the ability to produce high-quality written reports
Key Skills and Competencies
- Ability to collaborate closely with Donors, Ministry of Health and Partners
- Good interpersonal, decision making and analytical skills
- Knowledge and behaviors that support equality, diversity and inclusive practice
- Self motivated, pro-active, and able to multi-task and take initiative
- Ability to work independently and effectively under challenging field conditions
- Moderate to advanced level analytical skills and use of at least one statistical software package, e.g. STATA, R, SPSS or SAS
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
- Excellent communication skills including oral presentations of scientific information
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- The incumbent will be responsible for managing all clinical, epidemiological and public health aspects of the study, which will be implemented in Siaya County in western Kenya.
- He/She will be responsible for the development of any amendments to the protocol, obtaining ethics and regulatory clearances, developing case record forms and standard operating procedures, and coordinating the fieldwork.
- The person will also be responsible for overseeing any centralised functions for ATSB, including coordinating data management between KEMRI, CDC and LSTM, laboratory testing, and procurement.
- She/he will establish good working relationships with the country PI and Co-investigators in Kenya, field, laboratory, entomological, and data staff, as well as members of the financial, IT and other departments within partner institutions in the UK (LSTM and IVCC), US (CDC- Atlanta), and PATH.
- He/she will be expected to organise and prioritise his/her own workload within the overall research objectives with minimal onsite supervision.
- Review/develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), ensuring standardized methods are used, and that all Ministry of Health Guidelines are followed
- To undertake analysis of study results and draft reports as agreed with the PI.
- Coordinate the preparation and publication of data, reports and information, ensuring that they meet contractual and ethical requirements
- Establish excellent relationships with the study participants and their communities
- Disseminate findings in publications and scientific meetings
- Conduct performance appraisal of study site staff in liaison with the relevant technical supervisors of the staff members in Kenya
- Monitor and evaluate participant recruitment, retention, and completeness of data capture in collaboration with data team members. Provide regular feedback reports to the PI and take immediate remedial action as and when required
- Plan and coordinate meetings for both internal project staff and external collaborators and visitors in liaision with the Principal Investigator.
- Work with data managers and Principal Investigator and Co-investigators to analyse data and contribute to the writing of reports, publications and manuscripts. To present study updates at meetings as necessary
- Promote equality of opportunity and inclusive practice in all aspects of work undertaken
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade and nature of the role
Terms of Employment: A one-year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 3 months.
Remuneration: Salary is negotiable within the appropriate KEMRI pay grade depending on education and experience
Applications MUST include the following:
- Letter of Application (INDICATE VACANCY NUMBER)
- Current Curriculum Vitae with telephone number and email address
- Three letters of reference with contact telephone numbers and email addresses of the referees
- Copies of Certificates, Diplomas or Transcripts
How to Apply
Applications should be sent through, firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15th February 2021.
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer; women and disabled persons are encouraged to apply.
KEMRI does not charge a fee at any stage of its selection process including application, interview meeting and processing of offer letter. If asked for a fee, report such request immediately to relevant authority
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted