Position: Research Administrator, J/G KMR 5
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Duration: 1 year Contract
Location: Siaya County, Kenya
Application Deadline: 15th February 2021
The Kenyan Medical Research Institute, Center for Global Health Research (KEMRI-CGHR), has been selected to participate in a seven country multi-center study that will quantify the burden of Shigella diarrhea among infants and young children in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia to inform future Shigella vaccine trials. KEMRI-CGHR working in collaboration with the Center for Vaccine Development (CVD) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents, and Children at the University of Washington and funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, will participate in the Enterics for Global Health (EFGH)-Shigella study. The EFGH-Shigella project represents an extension of the Global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS) and the Vaccine Impact Assessment on Diarrhea in Africa (VIDA). The project is pleased to announce the vacant position of Research Administrator.
The Research Administrator will coordinate the entire project activities including hiring, training, and supervision of the study team, planning and implementation of all study activities, the collection of all household and facility-based data, and the collection of facility-based specimens. Research Administrator will also be asked to monitor study procedures and data for quality and thoroughness. He or she will also be asked to analyze data and write up reports and manuscripts for publication in peer review journals. These activities are part of a study called ‘Enterics for Global Health (EFGH)-Shigella Study in infants and young children’ that is a post GEMS and VIDA studies. The incumbent will directly report to the Kenyan site Principal Investigator and to other senior investigators.
- Holder of Master’s degree in any of the following disciplines: – Social Science, Applied Sciences, Education, Public Health, Biostatistics, any related or qualifications from a recognized institution
- Be self-motivated individual interested in developing research proposals
- Able to work with minimal supervision and have a high standard for research ethics
- Demonstrated experience of at least 3 years in motor bike riding with accident free valid driving license
- Poses a valid Certificate in Good Clinical Practice
- Be proficient in the use of computers. Good statistic analytical skills and experience of using at least one statistical package will be an advantage
- Fulfill the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution
- Have extensive community-based research experience.
- Be fluent in both English and Dholuo
- Be willing to reside in or close to study sites.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute knowledge and participate in writing the study protocol, Case Report Forms (CRFs), facilitate translations of CRFs from English to Dholuo and back and piloting of the CRFs including study procedures
- Participate in hiring and training of the study team as assigned by the Principal investigator.
- Oversee the collection of household, clinic, and hospital data.
- Directly supervise all study field staff.
- Ensure integrity and completeness of data to international research standards.
- Be able to identify and solve problems in a timely way.
- Ensure good collaborative relationships with the local community leaders, government administrative Chiefs, heads of healthcare facilities, ministry of health staff at county and national level.
- Analyze data and maintain biweekly reports as well as summary reports for conference calls and regular scientific meetings.
- Collaborate with other Research Officers and scientists in writing of research proposals and sourcing for grants
- Give presentations of project results at county and in national forums as assigned by the supervisor
- Perform statistical analysis, judging the validity and reliability of data and produce reports on the results of the analyses including writing manuscripts for publication in peer review journals.
- Train and supervise other officers within the Institute on scientific writing
- Perform all other requested duties.
Terms of Employment: Employment is on a one-year contract with a probation period for the first 3 months.
Applications MUST include the following:
- A cover letter addressing your interest and qualifications (Indicate Vacancy Number)
- Current Resume’ or Curriculum Vitae with Telephone number and e-mail address
- Copies of certificates and testimonials
- Three letters of reference with contact information (phone and email)
- Must fulfill the requirements of Chapter six of the Constitution.
How to Apply
Applications should be sent through email@example.com no later than 15th February 2021.
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity; persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply.
KEMRI does not charge a fee at any stage of its selection process including application, interview and processing of offer letter. If asked for a fee, report such request immediately
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted