Position: Research Scientist; J/G KMR6 – 3 positions
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Duration: 1 year Contract
Location: Siaya County, Kenya
Application Deadline: 15th February 2021
The Kenyan Medical Research Institute, Center for Global Health Research (KEMRI-CGHR), has been selected to participate in a seven country Multi-Center study that will quantify the burden of Shigella diarrhea among infants and young children in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia to inform future Shigella vaccine trials. KEMRI-CGHR working in collaboration with the Center for Vaccine Development (CVD) at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents, and Children at the University of Washington and funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, will participate in the Enterics for Global Health (EFGH)-Shigella study. The EFGH-Shigella project represents an extension of the Global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS) and the Vaccine Impact Assessment on Diarrhea in Africa (VIDA). The project is pleased to announce the vacant positions of Research Scientist 3 (three positions)
- Holder of Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following disciplines: – Social Science, Applied Sciences, Education, Public Health, Biostatistics, any relevant Social Studies, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution
- Be a self-motivated individual interested in developing research proposals
- Demonstrated interested in working on diarrhea research and to be mentored in scientific writing in the same field
- Able to work with minimal supervision and have a high standard for research ethics.
- Poses a valid Certificate in Good Clinical Practice
- Be proficient in the use of computers. Good statistic analytical skills and experience of using at least one statistical package will be an advantage.
- Fluency in both English and Dholuo, written and spoken, and good interpersonal communication skills
Duties And Responsibilities:
- Identify KEY community stakeholders, and gatekeepers purposely to help perform effective community consenting through community mobilization
- Identify possible barriers to smooth study implementation and work with the PI on strategies to limit the impact of such barriers on the enrollment and overall study implementation
- Contribute to translation of the study Case Report Forms, study procedures and protocol in general into the local (Dholuo) language, plan and supervise piloting of the study protocol including but not limited to the study tools and procedures in general
- Train, supervise and mentor other research assistants to undertake increased supervisory responsibilities
- Serving as the primary contact person for the project at the community level and a principle contact source of information of study status and deliverables at the study enrolling field sites
- Working as part of a team in contributing to the analysis of results under the direction of the project PI and data team, collating, managing data during data collection periods (monthly) and providing quality assurance/quality control
- Developing and designing local training and capacity building in collaboration with the study investigators
- Drafting, editing, and preparing correspondence, reports, and other project related materials
- Under minimal direction of the study coordinator and the site PI, plan and coordinate a wide range of research procedures and conduct a variety of complex tasks as determined by the field and scope of the study
- Organizing and supervise the implementation of all field activities and performing necessary support duties
- Contribute knowledge in writing and publishing of scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals/digests
- Give presentations of project results at county and in national forums as assigned by the project PI
Terms of Employment: Employment is on a one-year contract with a probation period for the first 3 months.
Applications MUST include the following:
- A cover letter addressing your interest and qualifications (Indicate Vacancy Number)
- Current Resume’ or Curriculum Vitae with Telephone number and e-mail address
- Copies of certificates and testimonials
- Three letters of reference with contact information (phone and email)
- Must fulfill the requirements of Chapter six of the Constitution.
How to Apply
Applications should be sent through email@example.com no later than 15th February, 2021.
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity; persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply.
KEMRI does not charge a fee at any stage of its selection process including application, interview and processing of offer letter. If asked for a fee, report such request immediately
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted