What is Judicial Service Commission (JSC)?
The Judicial Service Commission abbreviated as JSC is an independent Commission established under Article 171 of the Kenyan Constitution. Its mandate as stipulated in Article 172 of the Constitution is to promote and facilitate the independence and accountability of the Judiciary and the efficient, effective and transparent administration of justice.
Who are the Members of the JSC?
The JSC membership comprise of:
- The Chief Justice who is the Chairperson
- Supreme Court judge (one)
- Court of Appeal judge (one)
- High Court judge (one)
- One Magistrate
- The Attorney General
- Two advocates (one woman and one man);
- One person nominated by the Public Service Commission;
- One woman and one man to represent the public, not being lawyers, appointed by the President with the approval of the National Assembly.
What are the Functions of the JSC
The JSC does the following; –
- Recommend to the President persons for appointment as judges.
- Review and make recommends on condition of service for judges (other than their remuneration), judicial officers and staff of the Judiciary.
- Receive complaints against, investigate and remove from office or otherwise disciplining registrars, magistrates, other judicial officers and other staff of the Judiciary.
- Prepare and implement programmes for the continuing education and training of judges and judicial officers.
- Advise the national government on improving the efficiency of the administration of justice.
JSC Contacts and Physical Address
The Judicial Service Commission offices are located at:
Kenya Re-Insurance Plaza
Taifa Road, CBD, Nairobi
P.O. Box 40048 – 00100, Nairobi
JSC Telephone Number: +254 20 273 9180
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Judicial Service Commission careers Link : https://www.jsc.go.ke/index.php/careers/
Useful Links to the Judiciary
Judiciary website link: https://www.judiciary.go.ke
Link to Judiciary e-filing court: https://efiling.court.go.ke
Check out more useful information and useful links in the information Hub – Click Here.
2 thoughts on “The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) of Kenya”
Pingback: Shortlisted JSC Court Assistant II – Schedule - The information Hub
Pingback: Rescheduled Interviews for Court Assistants - The information Hub