What is Soviet Union/ The USSR? The Soviet Union or the the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) is basically a communist rule that was established after the Russian revolution to replace the Russian empire. The Russian revolution which was led by Vladimir Lenin overthrew the rule of Russia’s Czar Nicholas II. The Russian empire was an authoritarian rule led by Czar Nicholas II. It was characterized by a lot of oppression and an impoverished society. The Vladimir Lenin led revolution was rebelling against Czar’s authoritarian rule. Hence the formation of the Soviet Union whose aim was to correct the injustices.
Countries under the USSR / The Soviet Union
The Soviet Union or the the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) was formed in the period between 1917 and 1921. This union led by Vladimir Lenin a Marxist revolutionary, became the world’s first Marxist-Communist state. It also became one of the biggest and most powerful nations in the world. The U.S.S.R. or the Soviet Union comprised of the following republics:
- Ukraine and
Note: Russia and Ukraine were at one point one nation under the USSR
Rulers of the Soviet Union/ The USSR
- Vladimir Lenin (1917-1924) – A Marxist revolutionary/ Socialist
- Joseph Stalin (1924-1953) – Born Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, but he adopted the name ‘Stalin’ which literally means ‘man of steel’.
- Georgy Malenkov (March-September 1953) – Briefly Assumed power after Stalin’s death.
- Nikita Khrushchev (1953-1964) – Trusted advisor to Stalin
- Leonid Brezhnev (1964-1982) – conservative Leader
- Yuri Andropov (1982-1984) – Once a KGB chairman
- Konstantin Chernenko (1984-1985) – Led for 15 Months
- Mikhail Gorbachev (1985-1991) – A reformist, well known for two of his policies – glasnost (openness) and perestroika (restructuring). Also a Nobel Peace Prize winner for “his leading role in the peace process which today characterizes important parts of the international community.
Click Here to Read about the Russian Presidents
What Is KGB?
KGB stands for Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti, the English Translation is “Committee for State Security”.
The KGB was the security agency for the USSR/Soviet Union that was established in 1954 during Nikita Khrushchev rule. KGB was a multi-tasked organization with roles within and outside the Soviet Union. It was working both as an intelligence agency and a force of “ the secret police.”
For this and more useful information check out the information Hub
You might also want to read about the History of Russian Presidents – Click Here
2 thoughts on “What is Soviet Union/ The USSR : Find Out More”
Pingback: The Russian Federation – Russia: Find Out More - The information Hub
Pingback: Who is Vladimir Putin? Find Out More - The information Hub