Here is a list of the Presidents of Kenya since independence
H.E. Mzee Jomo Kenyatta
The Presidents of Kenya: The First President of the Republic of Kenya. The first on the list of the presidents of Kenya
- Born: in the 1890s
- Became President in: 1964
- First Lady: Mama Ngina Kenyatta
- Years Ruled: 1964 – 1978 (Approx 14 Years)
- Political Parties: KAU – Kenya Africa Union, KANU – Kenya African National Union
- Never ran for any presidential elections – Was Chosen
- Profession: Author/Writer
Brief About Mzee Jomo Kenyatta
Born in the 1890s as Kamau Wa Ngengi in Nginda village, Central Kenya. Son of Ngengi Muigai and Wambui. Kenyatta’s early education began in missionary schools, advancing his education in London. He authored several books, magazines and other intellectual materials. Kenyatta held various administrative positions both political and non-political. He is remembered as a Pan- Africanist. He is the father to the fourth President of Kenya – Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta.
H.E. Daniel Toroitich Arap Moi
The Presidents of Kenya: The Second President of the Republic of Kenya – The Longest serving President of the Republic of Kenya. He was the 1st Vice president to become president.
- Born: 2nd September 1924
- Became President in: 1978
- First Lady: Mama Lena Moi
- Years Ruled: 1978 – 2002 (24 years)
- Political Parties: KADU – Kenya African Democratic Union, KANU – Kenya African National Union
- Ran for presidential elections two times and won both times (1992 and 1997)
- Profession: Teacher
Brief About Daniel Arap Moi
Born on 2nd September 1924 as Toroitich Arap (son of) Moi, in Sacho, Rift Valley, Kenya. He later on became a Christian and was given the name Daniel. President Moi was a scholar who highly valued education. Other than teaching in various learning institutions, he is said to have been a political professor. He joined politics in 1955 and became the president in 1978 after the death of Mzee Jomo Kenyatta. Some of his children have followed his foot steps in politics and have held various political seats. The likes of Raymond Moi and Gideon Moi.
H.E. Emilio Stanley Mwai Kibaki
The Presidents of Kenya: The Third President of the Republic of Kenya
- Born: on 15th November 1931
- Became President in: 2002
- First Lady: Mama Lucy Kibaki
- Years Ruled: 2002 – 2013 (10 years)
- Political Parties: KANU – Kenya African National Union, DP – Democratic Party, NARC – National Alliance Rainbow Coalition, PNU – Party of National Unity.
- Ran for presidential elections four times. He lost twice (1992, 1997) and won twice (2002 and 2007).
- Profession: Economist
Brief About Mwai Kibaki
Born on 15th November 1931 as Mwai Kibaki in Othaya, Central Kenya. President Kibaki is a well educated intellectual. The notable learning institutions in his learning life include, Mang’u High, Makerere University and London School of economics. He started his career after Makerere as an assistant sales manager for Shell Uganda. President Kibaki lectured briefly before joining politics in 1960. He became an MP in 1963, then vice president in 1978 under President Moi. He has represented Othaya Constituency for over 33 years as an MP since 1979. President Kibaki also served as a cabinet minister in various ministries. Notable development projects during his reign include but not limited to; Thika Super Highway, Konza Technopolis, Tatu City among others.
H.E. Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta
The Presidents of Kenya: The Fourth President of the Republic of Kenya. President Uhuru Kenyatta is the youngest on the list of the presidents of Kenya so far.
- Born: on 26th October 1961
- Became President in: 2013
- First Lady: Mama Margaret Kenyatta
- Years Ruled: 2013 – to September 13th 2022
- Political Parties: KANU – Kenya African National Union, TNA – The National Alliance, Jubilee Party
- Ran for presidential elections three times and won two times. He lost in the 2002 elections won in 2013 and 2018
- Profession: Economist, Political Scientist
Brief About Uhuru Kenyatta
Born on 26th October 1961, son of the first president of Kenya – Mzee Jomo Kenyatta. He studied economics, political science and government at Amherst College. Other than being the son of the president, he was introduced to the national politics when he was nominated to parliament in 2001. He then became a cabinet minister under President Moi. He was chosen by President Moi to succeed him in the 2002 general elections. President Uhuru Kenyatta has held various government and party leadership position. He became the first president under the new constitution after winning the 2013 Presidential elections. Notable development projects during his presidency include; the SGR, Nairobi Expressway, the return of Safari Rally among many others.
H.E. Dr. William Samoei Muigai Ruto
The Presidents of Kenya: The Fifth President of the Republic of Kenya. President William Samoei Ruto is the first deputy president of Kenya to become the President of Kenya. He is on the presidents of Kenya list after succeeding his former boss President Uhuru Kenyatta. President He is the first president with the title Doctor.
- Born: on 21st December 1966
- Became President in: September 13th, 2022
- First Lady: Rachel Chebet Ruto
- Years Ruled: September 2022 – The Current President of Kenya
- Political Parties: KANU – Kenya African National Union, ODM – Orange Democratic Movement, TNA – The National Alliance, Jubilee Party, UDA – United Democratic Alliance.
- He has ran for presidency once and won against Azimio’s Hon Raila Amolo Odinga.
- Profession: Scientist – Botany and Zoology
Brief About Dr. William Samoei Ruto
Born on 21st December 1966, son of a peasant Farmer. He studied bachelors of science in Botany and Zoology at the University of Nairobi and later attained his PHD from the same institution. He started venturing into political leadership in the early 90s through the youth for KANU, a political outfit that supported the re-election of President Moi. President Ruto first became the Member of parliament for Eldoret North in 1997, then 2022 and 2007. He then became the first Deputy president of Kenya in 2013 after the promulgation of the new Kenyan constitution. He served as the Deputy president from 2013 to 2022.
For the Latest and useful information, check out The Information Hub
Check out the getin4 Business Directory
The Presidents of Kenya