getin41 Britam Insurance - Uganda
Assistant Manager Legal – Uganda -Britam
Hiring Organization: Britam Uganda
Location: Kampala Uganda
Application Deadline: 10th May 2021
Job Purpose and Key responsibilities
The Assistant Manager Legal – Uganda, works with the Country Management Team and the Group Legal Management team in the provision of legal advisory services, organizational compliance with the Industry Regulatory Guidelines, and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks for Britam
- Ensure there are appropriate structures, processes, and documentation in place in relation to Britam Group’s Governance practices.
- Ensure compliance with Group corporate governance requirements and coordinate the annual legal, compliance, and governance audits.
- Keep abreast with the relevant changes in governance best practice.
- Maintain a corporate calendar for all governance-related activities and committees
- Manage and coordinate in liaison with Group Legal Office all Board and Board Committee related matters.
- Advise the business on all matters requiring legal interpretation to enable effective management of legal risks
- Review newly instituted matters/ regulations and advise management;
- Managing all Claims related legal matters in liaison with the Claims Department and engaging with IRA and the external lawyers and liaising with Claims Department to manage third-party recoveries.
- Research and interpret regulatory requirements of new Insurance products and/or services
- Provide assistance to the operational areas with day-to-day regulatory Insurance and Fund Manager Compliance issues with the relevant authorities including the IRA, RBA, and CMA.
- Providing Legal Advisory and necessary assistance in respect to Product Development and Review in liaison with the Legal Department.
- Reviewing the progress of outstanding litigation and liaising with and managing external lawyers in line with the SLAs.
- Regularly review the company’s legal panel and advice management of any changes required in line with the SLAs.
- Monitor court attendance by the company’s appointed advocates on the company’s legal matters
- Prepare half-yearly Legal reserves reports for all legal claims matters.
- Manage the entire litigation process with diligence, professionally and ensure timely closure of matters.
- Liaising with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
Compliance and Contract Management:
- Ensure oversight of and compliance with all regulatory matters
- Reviewing and/or drafting contracts or any other documentation to support business activities and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the senior management’s attention
- Conduct legal research and investigation, develop oral and written advice, and present recommendations to management.
- Maintaining the legal documentation of the company and ensure various schedules, contracts, agreements are in safe custody and are up to date.
- Review and update Legal Processes and Procedures
- Manage the external Advocates on the Britam Panel of Advocates through pro-active interaction and correspondence.
- Review Advocates Legal Costs to ensure that the same is within the Advocates (Remuneration & Taxation of Costs) Rules, 2000, as well as attempt other cost savings
- Prepare appropriate reports as per requirements and these include Monthly Legal Reports, Monthly Legislative Reports, and Quarterly Legal Risk reports.
- Adhere to the provisions of the Legal Manual
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, experience, and qualifications required
- Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Master’s degree in Law (added advantage)
- Diploma in Law
- An advocate of the High Court of Uganda
- Possess a valid practicing license
- Stakeholder engagement
- Contract Management
- 2-4 Years Company Secretarial experience
- At least four 4- 6 years experience in Law in a busy law firm or in the Insurance/Financial services industry.
To apply for this job please visit britam.taleo.net.