getin41 Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR)
Regional Services Officer Coast Region
Hiring Organization: Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR)
REF: KNCHR/ADM/ RSO /03/2021
Reports To: Assistant Director/The Regional Coordinator
Gross Salary: Kshs. 100,250
Application Deadline: 20th April 2021
Job Objective of Regional Services Officer Coast Region
The Regional Services Officer Coast Region is responsible for the provision of legal support services and the implementation of region-specific best practices that contribute to the realization of Human Rights within the same. This role is to pursue redress for human rights violations in the commission’s regional offices to reinforce programs and practices that support the advancement of Human Rights programs inclusive of access to justice, devolution, land, citizenship, security, business human rights, minority groups, environmental rights, labor rights, public sector accountability, and engaging cultural and traditional institutions to mainstream human rights laws.
Key Duties for the Regional Services Officer Coast Region
- Screening of client/Petitioners and receive inquiries for complaints processing from victims seeking redress for human rights violations to facilitate the justice process and seek favorable outcomes for them
- Analyze case files and in consultation with the regional coordinator and institutional mandate make appropriate decisions, determinations, and recommendations on complaints that’s have been lodged at the regional office
- Provide legal advice and or representation to clients on Human Rights Related court cases and disputes.
- prepare sound legal opinions on complaints brought forward beyond arbitration. Generate advisories for submission to relevant actors on human rights issues.
- Facilitate public education and training programmes on human rights.
- Participate in field investigations and legal research in response to Human Rights violation cases noted or reported to the regional office to determine the way forward in pursuit of justice for the complainants and submit timely actionable reports.
- Offer legal counsel to inform complainants on the law with regard to possible human rights violations to equip them on the next steps and options available to them to mitigate said situations
- Refer complaints that fall outside the mandate of the commission to appropriate agencies for resolution as a way to assist them despite being outside the service parameters of the commission
- Prepare reminders and acknowledgments to keep petitioners informed on the status of the complaints they have lodged on Human Rights violations at the regional office
Skills, Experience, and Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in law from a recognized university
- Be admitted as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- At least 1 year of relevant service in a comparable position from a reputable organization
- Good understanding of human rights and other relevant laws
- Good research skills.
- Good communication, listening, and client management skills.
- Computer literacy
Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit copies of clearance certificates from the following institutions:
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Criminal Investigations Department (CID)
- Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Note to Applicants
KNCHR is an equal opportunity employer which offers a competitive remuneration commensurate to qualifications and experience. Qualified female candidates and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please note that it is a criminal offense to provide false information and documents in the application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply
If you possess the above qualities, please submit your application electronically through firstname.lastname@example.org Clearly indicating the position, and the Ref No. on the subject line, together with a detailed C.V, names, and telephone contacts of three referees one of whom should be your immediate supervisor, to reach us by 20th April 2021 to:
The Commission Secretary,
Kenya National Commission on Human Rights,
P. O. Box 74359 – 00200
To start the application process, click on the brown link in the apply button
For The Latest Jobs Click on our Job Listings
To apply for this job please visit www.knchr.org.