getin41 The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Senior Field Security Advisor
Hiring Organization: The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
Vacancy code: VA/2021/B5017/21686
Duty station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Duration: 12 Months (With the possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance and availability of Funds)
Application Deadline: 15th May 2021
The Senior Field Security Advisor reports directly to the Programme Director and cover all Mine Action Programmes in the Somalia Region and will work closely with Project Managers. The incumbent is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Act as the primary focal point for strategic security issues within the defined area of responsibility;
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the mine action operational environment scope and scale of operations including explosive hazard threats and of the planning and conduct of tasks and activities at the national level;
- In close coordination with the respective Project Managers, assist in the planning and advice on all security and safety matters including explosive hazard threats, this should include advice to staff on training and security policies and guidelines;
- Advise the Programme Director on security IED incidents and security threats including those from IEDs Indirect Fire attacks, and other explosive hazards to ensure the threats are understood and represented within the UN integrated mission security management processes;
- Continually assess the operational IED threat to identify programme gaps or inefficiencies in existing counter IED support;
- Provide complete security analysis and reports and disseminate these to the Programme Director and Project Managers as necessary;
- Analyze security factors and levels of risk related to staff and dependents in the country as well as security of the organization’s assets and property through frequent security missions to all sub-regional and make written recommendations for improvements in both physical safety and operational security. Follow up on these recommendations to ensure their implementation;
- Report security matters directly to the Programme Director and as necessary the respective Project Managers;
- Maintaining continual liaison with UNDSS, Host Governments and other actors in the country to promote UN Security Management System policies and procedures in all UNMAS operations through regular inter-agency consultations, networking, mutual support, and information sharing;
- Provide support to the Programme Director and UNSOM security team on Blast Mitigation Measures and assessments to advise and provide guidance on enhancing staff security;
- Conduct regular missions in the regions to assist project managers to, inter alia, ensure compliance with all mandatory security mitigation measures, review and revise country-specific Security Risk Assessments, review and revise UNMAS operational plans vis-à-vis security;
- Disseminating security guidelines, policies and procedures issued by Headquarters and the monitoring of their implementation;
- Ensuring that organizational programme and security objectives are reconciled and that security measures are fully integrated into operational planning (including budgetary provisions) at the earliest stages of development;
- Provide security advice to Project Managers on Emergency Response and Security Plans and in an emergency situation, ensure that appropriate level of security measures to support programme delivery, staff safety and security of organization property;
- Develop specific security strategies and operational procedures and establish contingency plans for the whole country. This should include viable medical evacuation plans;
- Advise Project Managers and Field Security Advisers in the assessments on the security of premises;
- Management of staff both International and National security personnel
- Any other duties as assigned by the Programme Director.
*Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience; OR
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 9 years of relevant experience; OR
- Military experience or relevant police experience with a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience is required.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in security management, risk or disaster management, law enforcement, military or police experience.
- Within the relevant experience, a minimum of two years of experience in security management or security planning at the National or International level in a conflict or post-conflict environment is required.
- Relevant experience from UN security management is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English (reading, speaking and writing).
- Valid Driving License.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.