Position: DRR Project Officer
Location: Mararal, Samburu,- Kenya
Application Deadline: 15th January 2021
Technically to DRR Manager and administratively to Regional Manager – Upper Eastern Region
The Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Project Officer is responsible for providing support in planning, implementation and monitoring of key project activities in close coordination with different stakeholders and service providers. The incumbent will work closely with the project team in strengthening disaster risk reduction at county and community level through promoting a culture of disaster preparedness and strengthening systems for DRR.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In liaison with the County Coordinator, oversee overall management, monitoring and coordination of DRR project activities at the county level.
- Promote DRR mainstreaming within the county government through capacity building and on-going coaching and mentoring
- Conduct DRR awareness and training sessions and conduct adapted disaster drills and simulations in target communities
- Document pre and post-training assessments, and develop timely progress and final reports as required
- Participate in DRR assessments and take oversight in the development of DRR preparedness and response plans and implementation based on findings and lessons learned, ensuring Community Based Structures remain active and functional
- Research, compile, summarize and present information/ data on Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR) conducted in the counties.
- Support establishment of early warning early action plans for potential disasters;
- Carrying out Monitoring and Evaluation of activities and purpose corrective action required during the course of implementation of the work plan
- Assisting the Regional Programme Coordinator in preparing work plans and budgets for submission to the Regional Office and Headquarters for compilation
- Develop strategies for strengthening collaborative partnerships and networks with stakeholders, and other players on the ground to ensure implementation of programmes that enhance effectiveness.
- Ensure proper accounts in accordance to the KRCS regulations and donor requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Disaster Management, Community development, Social Science or other related field with an in-depth understanding of vulnerability issues in the ASALs in Kenya.
- Demonstrated experience in DRR and resilience programming with a specific focus on community managed disaster risk reduction(CMDRR)
- Demonstrated ability to work closely and effectively with administrative and community structures in development and emergency context;
- Proficient and experienced in planning, monitoring and reporting of project activities in relevant field in multi-stakeholder partnerships and collaborations
- Possess skills in proposal and report writing, project cycle management and participatory monitoring and evaluation of projects
- A good understanding of community work and development programming and effective project management.
- A good understanding of the County Government structures and County DRR Strategy.
- A good understanding of the local area, culture and language in Samburu County
- Able to coordinate and network with partners to build synergies that enhance sustainability of the project outcomes.
- Sensitive and responsive to gender, ethnicity, disability and other social issues
- Participatory and team approach to work and behaviour
- Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
- Able to provide timely, well-written and analytical reports to the project team as required.
- Strong computer skills particularly Microsoft Office and data analysis packages.
- Self-motivated with a passion for the work and keen to learn as well as share knowledge and new ideas around livelihoods.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply strictly through https://www.redcross.or.ke/Careers so as to reach us not later than 15th January 2021;
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job disclaimer and notification: Kenya Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge / accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the selection process or while inviting candidates for an interview.