Position: Underwriting Associate
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Application Deadline: 31st January 2021
Number of Openings: 2
Job Purpose and Key responsibilities
- Reviewing proposal forms, verifying client’s data, assessing the proposed risk within set standards, counterchecking the terms of the policy as well as reviewing the conditions of the policy.
- Key responsibilities
- Assess the proposed risk within set standards
- Keep detailed and accurate records of policies underwritten and decisions made
- Review proposal forms
- Release policy documents, endorsements, valuation report to clients
- Communicate with clients on the renewal terms
- Maintain high standards of customer service – responding to clients enquiries; (walk-in clients, telephone and emails)
- Liaise with intermediaries and direct clients on issues relating to their policies
- Apply the credit control policy by ensuring that debit/credit notes raised are mailed and that they reach the clients/intermediaries within the shortest time possible.
- Issue policy documents of general business
- Generate renewal notices for all renewal business
- Delegated Authority: As per the approved Delegated Authority Matrix.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- Bachelor’s degree (insurance option preferred)
- At least one year experience in the insurance industry
- Computer literate
Emerging Leaders in Britam need to:
- Plan, direct and apply efficiencies and resources in order to optimise output and profitability against time, cost and team targets;
- Effectively communicate strategic and operational departmental goals and objectives to peers and others in order to ensure proper implementation;
- Ensure that department priorities are adhered to and effectively communicated;
- Ensure competent and effective people resources through appropriate coaching, development and people supervision as appropriate;
- Embody a high performance, proactive culture;
- Effectively ensure the adherence to key performance areas, deadlines and goals in order to optimise operational effectiveness;
- Effectively communicate resource needs, possible opportunities and achievements to management in order to aid them in their decision-making;
- Effectively set and monitor priorities and objectives for more junior staff;
- Understand and communicate objectives in relation to the larger organisational impact;
- Effectively disseminate knowledge within the correct context, towards subordinates as well as management;
- Appropriately model the company values while setting the pace and energy for delivering;
- Effectively manage and communicate change within the department in order to increase staff and process effectiveness;
- Provide access to accurate and consistent information and services across all channels;
- Ensure a seamless experience for clients;
- Improve service delivery for clients;
- Engage in continuous brand building to become the trusted partners to clients.
Emerging Leaders Competency Descriptions.
- Presenting and Communicating Information – Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; presents effectively; responds quickly to others ‘reactions and feedback during conversations; projects credibility.
- Working with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and pro-actively shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and departmental values; demonstrates integrity; encourages individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organizational values during every day interactions.
- Analysing – Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgments from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger system / process / problem.
- Planning and Organizing – Adheres to and monitors clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations – Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets and models high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.
- Deciding and Initiating Action – Takes responsibility for own, as well as subordinates’ actions and projects; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity; introduces improvements into work processes; handles problems with minimal guidance.
- Leading and Supervising – Provides subordinates with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; provides subordinates with the relevant coaching; creates a positive climate that fosters learning and development; identifies high potential talent; sets and articulates the departmental vision and values through own personal behaviour; sets appropriate standards of behaviour.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Works strategically to realize personal goals; understands and effectively communicates the departmental strategy; translates the departmental strategy and vision into operational responsibilities; takes into consideration departmental strategy during all tasks; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to current role.
- Applying Expertise and Technology – Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organizational departments and functions.
- Following Instructions and Procedures – Challenges authority only when appropriate; follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates a commitment to the organization; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
- Adapting and Responding to change – Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
How to Apply
If you are up to the challenge, click the Button below to Start the Application Process