Position: CIO, West Africa Cluster and Lead Market
Job Location: Nigeria-Lagos
Application Deadline: 06th February 2021
- As a business partner, the Chief Information Officer is responsible for maintaining the Bank’s Technology infrastructure capability, supporting the business activities across the Business segments. The responsibility of the Cluster CIO West Africa Cluster also includes ensuring full compliance with all Country and Group policies (consistent in execution), statutory regulations, local banking laws, anti-money laundering regulations and industry practices.
- The Cluster Chief Information Officer takes primary ownership of country/regional business engagement and communication to influence and drive future technology agenda for country/region in alignment with Group Technology strategy orchestrating seamless support from all technology players to ensure delivery of the best technology solutions in time, within budget, with least risks and highest service continuity. The responsibilities also include providing local leadership across all teams and contributing to employee engagement, talent development and performance management.
- Engaging key stakeholders- Group Technology, Cluster COO, Cluster CEO, Cluster Business Heads, Business CIOs/COOs and GBS to develop and implement an end-to-end Technology service delivery strategy.
- Provide technology thought leadership and influence country/region’s business strategy with the effective and innovative deployment of technology.
- Develop transformative solutions and introduce capabilities that align to Business strategies with an end-to-end view
- Develop client related technology service strategies to enhance revenue potential and improve utilisation of current service provisions
- Involve and play pivotal role in investment decisions and PED authorisations
- Understand and contribute to country / region’s business strategy and communicate country/regional business direction to Group Technology. Influence Group Technology to ensure that approved business plans have matching technology investment plans available for business investment committee evaluation.
- Ensuring that all technology service needs are addressed, regardless of type, to comply with any prevailing SLAs and/or reasonable expectations of country/region’s businesses.
- Reviewing progress of Group Technology service improvement initiatives for the country/region, escalating and contributing ideas as appropriate;
- Ensure adequate capacity plan is in place to meet business growth and transformative projects
- Provide steer in major Business driven projects to ensure minimum manual hand-off processes with good Technology service metrics (Delivery timeline, Business Benefits metrics etc)
- Work with relevant stakeholders to enhance client experience vide changes and introduction of new technologies and innovation to enhance revenue potential
- Drive overall country/regional performance as a part of the responsibilities of a Regional Management Team member
- Facilitate/coordinate business-facing forums (where required) and involve the relevant Group Technology personnel. Ensure suitable executive forum representation of Country Management Team, Country Operations Risk Committee (CORC), major initiative country implementation and project steering committees.
- Ensure that the Group Technology change management process caters for all country/regional change needs, and that any complementary in-country/regional approval processes are confirmed with Group Technology. In approving system changes, the CIO will act as the ‘gatekeeper’ of the country’s/region’s production environment by assessing impact and level of risk as a result of scheduled changes.
- For incidents having significant business impact, support the problem/incident management process which is owned by Group Technology. This will mainly involve the communication/escalation to business management of service impact, recovery process, root cause, and mitigating actions, and communication back to Group Technology of business concerns.
- Implement policies and procedures for the Region with guidance from Group policies and procedures
- Ensure operational disciplines such as capacity and risk management are well embedded, measured and tracked
- Drive continuous improvements in Productivity and Cost Efficiencies
- Be accountable for all Technology services supported by internal and external service providers
- Ensure appropriate governance of End User Computing Applications used by ITO
- Ensure high security and protection of the Bank’s, Client information & assets
- Streamline and digitize end-to-end processes to reduce manual hand-off, reduce risk and improve client/customer service collaborating with relevant stakeholders
- Measure and improve business satisfaction with overall Group Technology service on a regular basis. Feedback to be channelled into Group Technology management for improvement planning. Also ensuring Country/Regional business awareness of Group Technology plans accordingly.
People and Talent:
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Sets appropriate tone and expectations for their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality (skill and experienced) people to deliver its obligations.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development; ensure that direct reports are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles and that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Create a motivational and challenging environment for staff which is conducive to creativity and performance with customer centricity in mind
- Is a key contributor to performance feedback to Group Technology management for key Group Technology personnel in country and ensure that such personnel objectives adequately reflect country technology needs. Escalate any material performance management issues or talent development needs to GT management as appropriate.
- Based on the scale of services between country/region business and Group Technology, the extent and profile of resource in the CTM team shall vary. Each CTM shall determine this resource profile with the GT matrix accordingly and confirm such plans with the Cluster CIO. As this is a significant customer-facing Group Technology role, the ‘value add’ of the CTM function will be assessed on a regular basis through country business and Group Technology feedback, and resourcing levels, skills, and focus be reviewed/adjusted accordingly.
- As Policy Owner of Outsourcing (and Internal Sourcing), Vendor Management, and Data Management (including Protection, Security, Retention and Disposal) in accordance with the Risk Management Framework” & the “Operational Risk Framework”. In accordance with the Risk Management Framework these Second-Line (Policy Owner) responsibilities are additional to any First Line responsibilities that the Risk Control Owner/Policy Owner may have in respect of processes that they manage directly. Any process that is managed directly by the Risk Control Owner/Policy Owner is a First Line process, even if its purpose is primarily to control risk. Any such process is subject to independent Second Line challenge by Operational Risk (as the ultimate Second Line owner of the reliability of processes) and other applicable Risk Control Owners (depending on the nature of the underlying risks and policies applicable to that process).
- Facilitating the evolution and agreement of balanced business risk and commercial service level agreements between business groups and Group Technology;
- Ensure that country/ region’s exposure to each form of technology risk is understood and managed. Ensure regulator and external audit 2-way communication, submission requirements and reporting needs are met by Group Technology to address any such legal and compliance expectations. Provide resource to complement Group Technology model as needed.
- Oversight of Technology and Information Security Risks in the region. In line with in-country cyber R & R issued by CISO, act as first line owner for Information, Communication and Security Risk in the country.
- Ensure Country/Region adheres to Internal and External Sourcing Policies and Procedures related to Technology
- Effective management of all Technology risks including reporting high or very high rated risks based on Group materiality thresholds to the relevant Risk Committees
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness becomes apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and escalated through the relevant committees.
- As required, act as the first line risk owner under the Group’s risk management framework at the appropriate level, e.g. Country
- Ensure all necessary external legal and regulatory controls are in place from initial migration through service provisioning for Technology
- Balance business performance delivery and cost management constraints with risk and control matters to ensure that they do not materially threaten the Group’s ability to remain within risk appetite.
- Responsible for business continuity planning for the country/region and plans in sync with the GBS.
- Ensure risk metrics are actively reviewed along with the Risk & Control Function
- Ensure risks associated with acquisition and integration activities are well documented and addressed
- Ensuring that Group Technology responds to all forms of end-to-end country/regional business technology risk needs, including all audit, local regulatory, compliance, DR, BCP technology component, obsolescence, virus susceptibility and security needs. This includes the coordination of penetration testing conducted by GIS or external parties for internet-based systems to comply with local regulatory requirements. Escalate material technology risks to Group Technology for TRISC/TORC attention as appropriate.
- Support the Regional CIO to implement group policies and procedures in the region
- Ensure compliance with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws and anti-money laundering regulations and guidelines.
- Ensure adequate change management process is in place to govern Technology Change Management as well as Project Change Management
- Establish and maintain rigor in monitoring performance against budgets
- Balance business performance delivery and cost management with risk and control matters to ensure that it does not materially threaten the Group, remaining within risk appetite
- Establish working relationship between Cluster COO and maintain close exchange via an agreed format
- Ensure adequate oversight is given to acquisition and integration activities
- Ensure a clear strategy is devised to achieve the fair dealing and fair accountability outcomes which are clearly communicated to all ITO staff
- Fully accountable and own regulatory audit/inspections on Technology teams in region as well as in offshore service centres
- Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role. Understand and comply with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws and regulations, including those governing anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group’s policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters. Embed the Group’s values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees form part of the culture.
Regulatory & Business Conduct:
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the [Region/ country] to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.]*
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Cluster CEO
- Cluster COO
- Business – Direct interaction with Cluster Management Team (MT) and direct reports to discuss strategic initiatives, contribute to business strategy and communication of Group Technology strategy and initiatives
- Cluster Audit
- Cluster Risk teams/committees
- Cluster CFO
- Group Technology
- Risk Committee (CORC)
- Legal and Compliance (regulators)
- Human Resources
- Strategic Sourcing and Vendor Management
- Group Systems Development – on roadmap, new initiatives & project status, local implementations
- Group Technology Production Services – on run matters and status, problem and change management
- Group Technology Finance
- Group Technology Project Management Office
- Local regulators and other government departments/officials
- Industry partners, Banking Associations, etc
- Relevant Exchange and Cyber Security Forum
- Relevant banking associations
- Local software and hardware vendors
- Embed Here for good and Group’s brand and values in the AME ITO team,
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Responsible for building a culture of good conduct.
- Proven experience in a senior technical leadership role in either a business segment or functional CIO/CTO role
- Proven Relationship Management skills with ability to finesse relationships at the Regional and Country CTO level
- Deep knowledge of the Standard Chartered Network, joining the dots between business and Technology Strategy and delivery in country/region
How to Apply
Click the Button Below to apply now and join the Bank for those with big career ambitions