Position: Engineering Manager
Application deadline: 1st February 2021
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms. We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 2,700 active Fresh Life Toilets serving over 100,000 urban residents every single day. We collect and convert over 6,000 tons of waste every year.
Sanergy transforms the way emerging cities like Nairobi handle their waste. We have created a zero-waste model to clean up fast growing cities by converting polluting organic and sanitation waste streams into valuable products that increase economic growth and promote sustainable agriculture. We safely collect and treat 12,000 tons of organic waste annually – sanitation, municipal, and agricultural waste – and convert it into valuable products: insect-based proteins derived from black soldier flies for animal feed, organic fertilizer, which restores soil quality and structure, and biomass fuel briquettes. This model ensures waste that would otherwise harm the environment is transformed into high-quality sustainable products. At the same time, we have built a team of 250 dedicated team with diverse backgrounds. Our work has been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are currently seeking an experienced Engineering Manager who will work on the design and construction of East Africa’s largest organics recycling facilities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead multiple engineering teams to develop various designs of a organic waste bioconversion facilities
- Interact with various internal stakeholders such as legal, finance, and operations to ensure the design team objectives are met
- Interact with various external stakeholders such as engineering consultants, contractors, equipment vendors to ensure the design team objectives are met
- Develop frameworks, procedures, templates to standardize project execution during the design phase
- Develop strategies to ensure all team members adopt the standardized project execution approach
- Ensure Synergy’s quality standards are adopted and reflected in the final deliverables
- Support the team leads in setting priorities to achieve the yearly department objectives
- Support the team leads to resolve technical and non technical roadblocks
- Manage the different teams project timelines, budgets, resources, and activities required to achieve the yearly goals
- Review engineering drawings and provide technical feedback to ensure specifications and quality standards are met
- Support the organization and preparation of the project through assembling needed project information, tools and work documents to industry standards in a timely manner
- Lead meetings with vendors, contractors, construction teams
- Provide feedback and coaching to design leads on technical and non technical issues
- Develop clear and transparent communication channels with other staff including Engineers, Project Manager, and Administration Staff.
Skills and qualifications needed
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience in engineering management
- Demonstrated working knowledge of how multi-disciplinary engineering team operates
- Demonstrated ability in identifying bottlenecks in operating systems and proactively fixing them
- Experience in developing new procedures and frameworks to operate the business at department level
- Knowledge in the design of processing units, equipment, waste treatment facility
- Demonstrated ability to explain technical information to technical and non-technical people.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team, set priorities, handle budgets and provide constructive feedback to team members
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate contracts with equipment vendors and consultants
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well among the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
The perks you’ll have
- A holistic benefits package
- Unparalleled opportunities for personal and professional growth
- A unique chance to tackle critical challenges of sanitation, economic empowerment and food security
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to email their applications together with samples of previous projects undertaken as one document and a detailed CV with contact details of three referees by 1st February 2021.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Click the Button below to Apply for this position on Sanergy’s website
Kindly note this position is based in Nairobi with considerable movement to Kinanie, Mavoko constituency.