Teachers Service Commission – TSC
Teachers Service Commission - TSC
The Teachers Service Commission is a Constitutional Commission established under Article 237 of the Constitution. One of its mandates is to appoint and deploy institutional administrators. Their Head Quarters is in Upper Hill, Nairobi, Kenya.
Although the Teachers Service Commission was established in 1967, its history dates back to the 1950s when teachers led by retired President Daniel T Moi vigorously fought for the formation of one teacher body.
Following the formation of the first teachers union in Kenya – the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT) in 1957 there was sustained agitation for the creation of an umbrella body to manage the affairs of all teachers. At the time, teachers were employed by either; missionaries, local authorities or the Central Government which led to a great disparity in remuneration and other terms and conditions of service. In 1964.
The Kenya Education Commission Report (The Ominde Report) strongly supported the need for a competent, respected and contented teaching force. As a result of these factors, the Teachers Service Commission was formed in July 1967 through an Act of Parliament to give teachers one employer and uniform terms and conditions of service. It was charged with the mandate of registering, employing, promoting, disciplining and paying teachers.
Located in Upper Hill, Nairobi at TSC House, Kilimanjaro Avenue.
Private Bag 00100, Nairobi