Position: Driver – Tanzania
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 28th February 2021
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi-Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi-based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, and island states.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Support Assistant, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services for the transport of authorized personnel. The Driver has a client-oriented approach, a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact, and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. This position is located in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, and may be responsible for the following duties.
- Provides reliable and secure driving services by;
- Driving vehicles safely for the transport of authorized personnel and, in the case of peacekeeping missions, for the transport of cargo goods and/or hazardous goods vehicles;
- Collecting and delivering mail, documents, and other items; and
- Meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Ensures proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc.; performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs; and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent is required
- Drivers training with a valid driver’s license is required
- Two years’ work experience as a driver with a safe driving record is required
- Driving and vehicle maintenance skills are required
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs is an asset
- Experience with an NGO or the United Nations is desirable
- First aid training is an asset
- Fluency in written and oral English and Swahili language is required. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. A role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise, and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.